I am really excited about the way this layout turned out! For this challenge, I decided to incorporate two of the ideas that were on my list. These were using patterned papers from different collections or papers that you normally wouldn’t think went together and altering an item that you’ve had lying around for a long time. I again am using my friends Erika and Mike’s wedding pictures to tackle this challenge.
The first thing I did was look for items that I have had lying around for a while. I have sandwich baggies of chipboard pieces that I bought from Target when I first started scrapbooking. I never used them because the colors or patterns weren’t just right for the layout. I chose a few that I thought might go along with the theme, but just may not have had the right colors or patterns. Usually if the color and pattern it came with wasn’t right, I wouldn’t even think about trying to incorporate it in my page.
The next thing I did was pick my patterned and colored papers. I chose a pink card stock for the background and a two toned pink cupcake paper to be an accent paper. This is usually the point I would stop picking papers, but the challenge required the use of more patterned papers! I then pulled out some scraps of zebra, pink hearts and a light pink paper that I had lying around. After looking at my choices, I also included a striped paper that I never would’ve even considered could work in this layout before the challenge!
My next step was to see how these could all come together – or maybe I should say if they could all come together! I chose the striped paper as the mats for the photos, which I cut down (both the photos and the mats). Then I cut down the cupcake paper to a four-inch strip and used the “LOVE” ribbon so the transition between the two papers wasn’t so noticeable. After placing those papers together to see how they would look I realized that there was something missing from the right side of the page. I pulled out the “LOVE” stickers I had and decided that they needed a frame. I chose a set a parenthesis, but didn’t like the way the looked in the layout. They were too harsh, so I decided to try a technique I had seen in a weekly YouTube Video series from Two Peas called Glitter Girl. I used VersaMark on the undecorated (or raw) side of the chipboard and then covered it with black embossing powder. I then used the heat gun to set it and here are the results.
The next step was to glue down the cupcake paper and the “LOVE” ribbon. Once that was done, I laid the other pieces on top to see how it looked. The page still looked like it was missing part of the challenge – mixing patterned papers. So, using a technique I saw on another video, I cut out three different rectangles the same size as the width of the photos and used my We R Memory Keepers corner rounder (at 1/2″) to round the ends of one side and use them as tabs on the end of my pictures. I chose the pink, zebra and hearts paper as the tabs and then proceeded to glue the pictures and tabs onto the layout. Finally I put the “LOVE” stickers down and then my embossed black parenthesis.
Hope you like it! I am working on Challenge #4 now.