RSS Feed

Category Archives: creating your own embossing powder

Challenge #10 – Making your own color embossing powder

For my tenth challenge, I decided to do another technique with VersaMark. When I originally bought the VersaMark ink, I thought that you only used it for embossing. I am glad that I am finding that there are many other ways that you can use it! This layout shows one of those different techniques.

To start out, I used an image that I had cut before but wasn’t the right size. It was a large tag that says all dressed up and I had cut it out of glitter paper. The words “All Dressed Up” are cut out and when I placed it on the background, I thought it didn’t look as nice as it could. So, I took some pink scrap paper that I cut into strips. When I placed those behind the cut out words, it still didn’t look right. I found a stamp set that I haven’t really used much (Fiskars Asian Inspired cling stamps) and chose one of the flowered stamps from there. I wanted to emboss that image, but I didn’t have the correct color pink embossing powder. However, I did have worn lipstick distress ink, which would be perfect!

To make your own color, first you ink the image up with VersaMark. Then you ink the image up with the color distress ink you want. (You don’t have to use distress ink.) You then stamp the image on to your paper and cover it with clear embossing powder. Once the image is heated up, the image is embossed in the color ink you stamped with! Here is one of the background pieces that I used for the tag: Embossed flower and here is the final image of the tag (It looks better in person. It was hard to capture a good shot of it!)tag

I thought that the stripped background was a little too much for the whole page. I chose a piece of brown card stock to break it up, but it looked too plain against all the stripes. So I took another stamp from the same Fiskars set (the background stamp) and used the same technique as I did with the tag. I used the worn lipstick distress ink for this as well. It didn’t really turn out too pink, but I like the way it ended up. Next time I will try it with vintage photo or walnut stain, but I was trying to tie some of the pink in to the bottom of the page. Here are the results:Background

To tie the page together, I took a see through piece of pink ribbon and adhere it to the page between the two pieces of paper. Since it was sheer, I used the cheater method to attach it (Only glue or tape the ribbon on the back of the page). It was slipping a little bit on the front so I put tiny dots of glue on the edge of parts of the ribbon where it wasn’t so sheer to hold it in place. I glued down all of the pictures and the tag and my page was complete. Here’s a look at the final product:FInal page

Hope you like this page! As always, feel free to leave comments or suggestions!

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 415 other followers